Saturday, December 12, 2009

Tribes

Just finished the book Tribes by Seth Godin. What a great description of leadership and ability to tell it's story.

For many this book will frustrate you. In a world full of formulas and 5 steps to huge success (I jest of course) this is a book of identity an encouragement.

Seems that Seth is able to put his finger on the reality that God has a purpose for each of us. For him this is best described as leadership, and the innate need in each of us to lead in some way.

Majority of the book helps each of us identify with leaders and their choice to lead. Long before resources, a following, or a killer product there is that choice we must make to lead.

In fact it is the simple humaness of choice that leads us to lead. Reality is I will never have enough money to raise my children, enough time to write effectively enough, or enough spirituality to pray for everything that matters to me or my Lord. Instead I make a choice daily to move towards what i see in my minds eye as my future and not be inactive due to what I do not yet have or fear I never will.

As the book ends a few quotes moved me that I decided I would share, and the sure enough Seth asks that anyone who finishes the book will do him a favor and pass it on, so here goes;

I think most people have it upside down. Being charismatic doesn't make u a leader. Being a leader makes you charismatic. It's a choice not a gift.

The secret, Reagan's secret, is to listen, to value what you hear, and then make a decision even if it contradicts the very people you are listening to. Listen, really listen. Then decide and move on.

Without people pushing against your quest to do something worth talking about, it's unlikely to be worth the journey. Persist.

Real leaders don't care about credit, they do all they can to give it away. Credit isn't the point change is!

I can tell you this; leaders have nothing in common. Except this they make a choice to lead.

Hope you enjoy the book, I look forward to your thoughts. And if you enjoy Seth and his ability to tell the story you should check out Tim Sanders too.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: